Over a million successful moves since 1934

Moving to/from the USA…AMJ Campbell has the complete and cost-effective Moving Solution for you, eliminating all the complexities and stress of crossing the border. Your move will be supported by AMJ Campbell’s Service Guarantee for service excellence. Contact us for your Free Moving Quote and/or read more for further information.

When moving to/from Canada to the United States let AMJ Campbell bridge the gap by eliminating all the stress and complexities of moving cross-border. Moving between Canada and the United States requires special expertise especially in today’s security conscious world. Whether it’s U.S. Homeland Security or Canada Border Services, there are new rules for moving companies and the individuals who are moving between the two countries.

AMJ Campbell is a recognized leader in the area of cross-border moving. We understand the complexities involved. Our dedicated team of cross border moving specialists have the necessary resources needed to do the job right and to ensure that we are in full compliance with all the regulations.

Where possible, we have provided contact information for the various agencies or government bodies who can more directly respond to your cross border moving inquiries. You should be aware that neither AMJ Campbell nor any other mover has any control over the enforcement of customs regulations or policies. We encourage you to directly contact the appropriate agencies or consulates well in advance of your actual moving date to obtain information specific to your move situation.  Call us for further information and affordable moving quote.
Moving from Canada to the United States is a straightforward process, providing all of the necessary documentation is properly completed.

Your household goods and personal effects are permitted to enter the U.S.A. duty-free providing they have been in your possession and used by you for at least one year.

Cautionary note - if you do not declare new items or understate the value of the items, U.S. Customs can confiscate the items and assess duties and a monetary penalty. If you will be making purchases of expensive items prior to your move you may want to compare the cost to purchasing the item(s) in the United States. 

Antiques must be 100 years or older to be eligible for duty-free entry. Customs will require that you prove this, so be prepared to furnish a receipt or an appraisal. 

While it is not normal practice to charge duty on used personal items, some items such as photographic equipment, vehicles, consumable items etc. may be dutiable. Check with the nearest U.S. Consulate in your area for specific information. If you are already in the U.S, contact your nearest Customs Office listed in U.S. telephone directory under: U.S. Government Offices, Treasury Department. 
For dogs and cats over 3 months old you will need to produce proof of rabies vaccinations and a certificate from a veterinarian stating that the animal(s) are in good health. Birds may require a period of quarantine.
Moving companies cannot transport alcohol on the van with your household goods. We can make arrangements to have it shipped via air or other third party method. Wine/ liquor collections are subject to state taxes and rates vary by state. Contact the state liquor control authority for complete details.

Any "on-road" motorized vehicle (less than 25 years in age) must meet US safety and environmental standards to be imported into the United States. A compliance letter must be obtained from the actual manufacturer (not dealer) stating that the vehicle does meet all FMVSS standards. The compliance letter is not required if it is a return of a U.S. registered vehicle. A list of automobile manufacturers can be found on the National Highway Traffic Safety Association – US Department of Transport's web site (link is below) in the section called "Vehicle Importation Guidelines- Canadian".

You should be aware that some manufacturers are refusing to issue the compliance letters (i.e. Chrysler, Toyota). As well, not all motorcycles can be imported to the US, particularly those that were manufactured overseas or are considered gray market bikes. If you cannot obtain a compliance letter, then you must use the services of a "Registered Importer" to determine if your car or motorcycle meets or can be modified to meet US safety and emission standards. A list of registered importers is also located on the NHTSA website (link below).

An EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) form must be completed for each motor vehicle being imported into the U.S and is required in addition to the compliance letter. The EPA form is not required if it is a return of a U.S. registered vehicle.

A HS7 document is required on all motor vehicles, including a return of a US registered vehicle. This form can be found on the NHTSA web site along with full details on vehicle importation:


If you will be in the US for one year or less, you can import a non-conforming vehicle, however the vehicle must be exported within one year – no extensions are permitted.  It may be necessary to post a bond for this type of importation.

Returning US citizens/residents who have purchased a vehicle while living in Canada should be aware that duty will be charged on any automobile that was manufactured outside of the NAFTA zone. Duty is currently charged at the rate of 2.5% (subject to change).

To clear your household goods shipment through U.S. Customs, the mover will require copies of the following documentation:

For Returning US Residents:

For Non-Residents:

  • Completed 3299 Customs Form
  • Work or Study Visa and Letter of Offer of Employment (if applicable) 
  • Valid Passport
  • Copy of I94 form that US Customs inserts in your passport upon entry

 For Part-time Residents:

  • Completed 3299 Customs Form
  • Proof of Property Ownership or Lease in US
  • Valid Passport
  • Proof of Canadian residence:
    property deed, property tax records, utility bills, etc.

It is not necessary for customers to be present at the border when the AMJ Campbell van operator crosses with your shipment on board. We are usually able to clear your shipment for delivery to residence providing all of your documentation is in order. If there is a problem, the shipment will be placed 'IN BOND' to the closest customs office to your new home. You will be required to personally appear to clear your goods.

Unless you are a returning US Resident, you need to enter the United States before your shipment arrives at the border. It is important for people entering on a work/study visa to have completed the immigration process so that your status is properly established. When you personally enter/cross into the US and your work visa is determined to be in order, US customs will put an I94 document in your passport. You must provide your moving company with a copy of this document to prove that you have been granted entry into the United States.

US Customs will verify this information when your moving truck arrives at the border. If there is any problem with your immigration status, US Customs may turn your shipment back. As a result, you will incur additional charges for border delays, the cost of returning your shipment to origin and storage until the matter is sorted out.  

Useful Contacts

Customs Contact Information
U.S. Customs Office
Washington, DC
(203) 325-8000

Immigration and Visa Information
US Citizenship and Immigration Service
Arlington, VAS
1-800-375-5283 (within USA)

We hope you have found this information helpful. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

Although the formal clearance of a household goods shipment is done in person at a Canada Customs facility in or near the destination city, Canada Customs at border entry points have recently started requesting that the moving company Van Operator present a copy of the passport and work visa for the owner of the goods.

However, the mover is still not permitted to deliver your personal possessions to your new home until the owner of the goods meets the AMJ Campbell/Atlas Van Operator at the Canada Customs facility closest to your final destination to personally clear your shipment. You cannot assign a third party to clear on your behalf.

When your shipment arrives in Canada, your AMJ Campbell/Atlas driver will contact you to advise where to meet in order to clear your shipment. You will need to bring the following documentation:

 Returning Canadian Residents:

  • Passport  for each family member
  • Proof of length of time away from Canada (lease documents, pay stubs, etc.)
  • Detailed inventory listing of goods including their value (in duplicate)
  • Purchase receipts for goods acquired while out of the country


  • Passport for each family member 
  • Work Visa
  • Marriage Certificate for spouse
  • Work or Study Visa
  • Employer Letter or Offer of Employment
  • Detailed inventory listing of goods including their value (in duplicate)

Seasonal Residents:

  • Passport 
  • Proof of ownership or lease of seasonal property
  • Detailed inventory listing of goods including their value (in duplicate)
  • Proof of US residence

Duty or Taxes:

In the event that there is any duty, fees or taxes owing to Canada Customs, you will be required to pay before the goods are released for delivery. Cheques, cash, Visa or MasterCard are accepted.  Returning Canadian residents will be required to pay duty/taxes on any single item purchased in the U.S. with a value of $10,000 or more (including an automobile). 

Please note that alcoholic beverages cannot be transported on the moving van.
If you intend to import the contents of a bar or wine collection, you must contact the appropriate Canadian provincial or territorial Liquor Control Board authority before you ship these items as the duties and taxes must be paid in advance. To obtain release of the shipment in Canada, you must produce proof that these duties and taxes have been paid.

To be eligible for importation, personal motor vehicles must comply with Canadian
safety and emission standards. Vehicles older than 15 years may be imported
temporarily under a special provision.

To import your vehicle to Canada, you need to contact the "Registrar of Imported Vehicles" (RIV) in Canada at 1-888-848-8240 (US and Canada).

You will need to provide RIV with the year, make, model and vehicle identification number to determine if your vehicle is eligible for importation into Canada. RIV's web site at www.riv.ca has step-by-step instructions, fees, and a list of vehicles that can be modified to Canadian standards.

In addition to the certification from RIV, you will also need to produce your title documents (ownership certificate), sales receipts, registration and proof of insurance documentation.

Note: If you are going to be in Canada for 36 months or less you are exempt from the RIV certification but you must notify US Customs on the export of your vehicle(s). See below for more details.

You must also notify US Customs about the export of your vehicle. A copy of your title of ownership must be forwarded to US Customs a minimum of 3 business days prior to the vehicle arriving at the border crossing. If you are hiring a moving company to ship your vehicle instead of driving it across the border, discuss this with your representative from the moving company. Complete details about this procedure can be found at: http://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/files/documents/Exporting%20Vehicles%20To%20Canada%20%28Census%20Bureau%29.pdf

Canada has very strict laws regarding firearms.  All gun owners living in Canada must obtain a firearms "Possession and Acquisition" (PAL) license. If you are moving to Canada and plan to import any firearms, you need to be aware of the regulations and procedures that are in place.
You will need documentation to prove that you are entitled to possess a firearm and obtain prior permission to transport it. When you arrive in Canada, you must declare all firearms and weapons to Canada Customs. If you do not declare them, they can be seized and you could face criminal charges. 

Returning Canadians with firearms that were previously acquired in Canada must provide proof to Customs that the firearms were exported and are now being re-imported.

  • Semi-automatic weapons
  • Automatic weapons
  • Combat shotguns
  • Assault rifles
  • Carbines
  • Explosives, ammunition

For more information contact:
Canadian Firearms Centre
Telephone: 1-800-731-4000 or (506) 624-5380

Dogs over eight months of age and cats over three months of age must have a current rabbies vaccination (within 36 months prior to entering Canada) and the vaccination certificate must accompany the animal. 

Canada Border Services Agency
(506) 636-5064 or (204) 983-3500Email:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Toll free 1-888-242-2100
(416) 973-4444
(604) 666-2171

For a list of Canadian Consulate or Embassy offices in the U.S, go to Foreign Affair's website at:

We hope you have found this information helpful. If you have any questions please feel free to contact us.

AMJ Campbell - Ottawa Movers | 8887660000 | info@amj-movers-ottawa.com | 2710 Stevenage Drive, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, K1G 5N2 | Open Monday to Friday